From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (as quotated Dec. 4, 2009, at Fried Green al-Qaedas)
This article is about the Zapptist celebration during the opening of Zappadan.
The first (or 17th) day of Zappadan was originally known as Enttäuschung Nacht – German for ‘bummer night’ – but over the years it has been Americanized to the much simpler BummerNacht. This being the anniversary of Mister Zappa’s death, the original meaning is rather obvious, and we shall not delve further into it here.
Far from being a day of mourning, however, it is a day of great joy, for Zapptists know that a mere seventeen days later, on December 21st (Zero Day), Frank Zappa was born.
Traditionally, children are not allowed to participate in the celebration of BummerNacht, although teenagers are winked at if they decide to ‘run down to the library and not return until some ungodly hour of the night’. Celebrants are often seen cavorting to the exotic sound of the Mystery Horn while gorging on burnt weenie sandwiches and guzzling white port and lemon juice.
- The 1st of Zappadan (Reddit)
- Dweezil Zappa Announces North American ‘Choice Cuts’ Tour Dates (Jambase)
- GOD! THIS *IS* A TASTY LITTLE SUCKER! (Adventures Into the Well-Known)
- Mad Dog Media serves up “Dumb All Over”
- Zappadan: that time of year again (TalkBass)
- Shut Up ‘N Play Yer Guitar – The Six-String Wizardry of Frank Zappa, Part II (Truth and Beauty)
This post will be updated throughout the day and perhaps throughout the year. Correspondence: aaron at zappadan.com